Now that our May to November low/rainy season is beginning, we would like to remind you of some of the many great features of this time of year that will help you sell vacation packages to your clients. For starters, with the return of the rains in May, the brown and dusty landscapes of the dry season turn green with fresh new plant growth, inspiring us to refer to this as Costa Rica’s “Green Season.” One must bear in mind that the rainy season is typically not characterized by dreary days of endless rain. Rainfall normally begins at one or two in the afternoon and ends late in the day or early evening. Green season mornings are generally bright and clear and the air has a cool fresh feel to it that invites visitors to enjoy their outdoor activities. Other factors to consider about travel during the green season are that popular destinations are usually less congested and quieter, and hotel rates are generally lower. These are two excellent reasons for making this an ideal time of year for families or clients on a limited budget to visit.
What are some other benefits to visiting Costa Rica during this time of year?
- White water rafting and kayaking are best during the green season.
- The rainforest experience is more dramatic. Foliage is most lush and afternoon temperatures are cooled by cloud cover and rain in the green season. Adventurous guests will likely pack a poncho and waterproof footgear and enjoy the experience of walking in the forest in the rain. After all, generous warm rainfall is what creates these marvelous ecosystems!
- Fewer visitors on forest trails. Naturalists will be able to walk quietly and listen to the sounds of the forest with greater solitude
- This time of year is especially rewarding for visitors interested in nature. Birds are nesting and fledging young during the early weeks of this period
- Butterflies and interesting night insects such as leaf mimic katydids, colorful moths, and bioluminescent click beetles increase at this time of year. Guided night walks are a fun way to see these fascinating creatures and ideal for families, children as well as adults
- In September and October hundreds of thousands of North American birds fly into or through the country during fall migration (i.e. warblers, orioles, tanagers, vireos, hawks, vultures..)
- Between July and October thousands of green sea turtles come ashore over this three month period to nest at night in Tortuguero National Park on the east coast. On the west coast, olive ridley turtles come ashore in small numbers and by the thousands in a few nights during mass nestings between August and October at Ostional beach in Nicoya Peninsula
- Late August, September and October are the driest months on the Caribbean (east) coast of Costa Rica. Beachgoers and casual visitors will enjoy the laid back and unique Costa Rican-Caribbean atmosphere and regional cuisine, and perhaps catch some of the Carnival action usually held in October.
- Humpback whale season runs from July to October offshore along Costa Rica’s west coast. Whale sightings are best in the nation’s South Pacific region with Dominical and Marino Ballena National Park being two of the best hot spots. However whale sightings are common during this time all along the South Pacific from Manuel Antonio south to the Osa Peninsula, Golfo Dulce, and Tiskita Lodge
- From June to October there are fewer trade winds bringing in misty cloud cover, so the chances to see volcanic peaks and mountains are usually best. Mornings and evenings, before and after rainfalls are when the views are most clear.
- It is the peak surfing season (Also note that coastal surface water temperatures are an almost constant 76 to 80 degrees on both coasts year round)
- Due to dry Caribbean coast weather, there are great snorkeling possibilities along the South Caribbean, and especially at Cahuita and Manzanillo beaches.
- There is usually greater flexibility with reservations in popular hotels, car rentals, and tour services such as tours on horseback, treetop canopy rides, etc.
- Last not least: Cost effectiveness! Many hotels and rental car providers also have lower green season rates.